Monday, June 7, 2010

Lost: The End


Okay, I know this is about two weeks late. I know. I wanted to write a short blog right after the Lost Finale aired, but I didn't do it. And to make up a reason for it, I could say that I was letting it sink in, but really I just never did it, just because. I don't really want to get into all the specifics of the episode, or theories, I just want to briefly give my thoughts. Because someone out there MUST care what I am thinking, about the Lost finale, me. Rhonnie.

First of all, I admit. There was that initial moment as Jack's eye closed, that I felt, and many others must have felt, this pit in my stomach of confusion and breathlessness: "Wait. No. What?" But let's face it. That feeling would probably be there no matter what happened. It was an "IT'S OVER" miserable feeling that the whole FINAL episode brought on. It was inevitable. What was also inevitable was never getting all the answers that we desired. As frustrating as it is, writers Damon and Carlton warned us that plenty answers weren't getting answered. We must move on. But..But..But..

After the initial shock was over, I had a second to determine for myself that NO, they were NOT dead from Day one. The island life was very real and they all died when they died. Just like everyone on this beautiful Earth dies. Not everyone wants it, but it happens. And hopefully Kate and Sawyer(and company) were able to live long, happy lives off the island. (Because they're real people.) As Francis reminded me, Kate told Jack, "I've missed you so much," which most likely indicates that she had plenty of time to miss ol' Jack. Which, as other blogs have put it, seems a little sad that she maybe didn't find much else to keep her occupied off the island. But wouldn't you miss someone that you spent the weirdest time of your life with? Running from a smoke monster makes you very close. I digress.

Another scene that became one of my favorites was the Ben and Hurley scene outside of the church. Imagining what their time together may have been like is really sweet. It could have lasted a year or a century. And poor Ben, who still has so many hangups, waits outside the church thinking to himself and working things out. Brilliant. If they settled with this because they were looking for a way for him not to be in the church, because he didn't fit like the others did, they found a perfect way. But in all seriousness, Ben simply is not ready to pass. I love that aspect.

Christian and Jack's scene together in the back of the church was a moving one, and in my opinion, a pivotal one. Christian explains so much in a couple of minutes. Everyone dies, whether it happens before you or after you. You all have created this place to be together once again. This setting that knows no real place in time, it has no beginning or end, and everyone is there at once, although their lives have ended at different "times" on Earth. It's beautiful, and I think, a perfect way to end the show. Life ends, and who do you want with you when it does?

I accept that the island is a special place. Jacob and MIB represented things at times, or maybe they didn't. Maybe if the MIB left the island, the whole entire world would implode, or maybe nothing at all would happen. It's not horrible that everything didn't find it's place. Walt was a special kid, maybe for no reason at all. That bird definitely did say "Hurley." What was that damned statue? What part did Ilana play in all these shenanagans? Where did the numbers originally come from? But most of all, I would like to know why the actor that played Mr. Eko decided to part from the show. He broke my little heart.


The "Flash-Sideways" world can be interpreted differently by different people. In my opinion, it's an in-between. Sort of an "unfinished business" type place where the characters live without knowing the truth, until they are reminded by a very emotional time in their real lives. When they are willing to accept that their lives have ended, they can move on to that better place. In the end, I see it that we are to be people "of faith" and interpret the end as we see fit. For instance, I'd like to think that Desmond was able to get off the island and make it back to Penny and Charlie. But in the end, they all end up together again. It is sort of a broad brush stroke kind of peace, but it's peace nonetheless.

I commend the writers and creators for making something that will forever be a part of TV history. There are people who have spent 6 years watching and loving this show. I watched seasons 1 through 4 a year and a half ago to catch up, so I've spent less time than most, but it was enough to get very involved. And I know that if Lost had gone out with a whimper and wasn't even able to have a final episode (ahem, Heroes) than this would still be an incredible show. Think back to The Constant and how beautiful that was, or the moments of pure SHOCK like Walkabout. Or, how about, Ab Aeterno? I'll never forget that episode. And we were left thinking about different connections, theories, racking our brains for answers and signs. We created this crazy spun-out world based on something that, frankly, never promised us all the answers. And that's okay! Weren't we all left thinking about so much more, like the meaning of life, and the people we have in it? And our purpose? Well, I think that's the point, and I love it. There will be a day, maybe a long time from now, where I meet the people I love most in a beautiful place surrounded by Heavenly light and pass on together with them. And I can't wait to be able to spend that time with Desmond, Penny, Claire, Charlie, Sawyer, Juliet, Jack, and Kate. Because they'll be there with me. That's what the finale really meant, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment