Tuesday, August 31, 2010

for book geeks

It's really frustrating in this day & age how few used bookstores there are anymore, unless you live in Seattle or Portland. Borders & Barnes & Noble are extremely overpriced and Amazon isn't as fun. There's nothing like a used bookstore for going through hundreds of bad books to find a gem of a great one. This is why I will never get into the Kindle or any other eReader. It's all in the discovery.

A couple days ago, I was thrifting with my mom when I had a huge discovery. We went to three different thrift stores and all of them had, not only TONS of books, but some great finds in great conditions, for really CHEAP! I got a little too excited. I spent 20 bucks for three bags full. The point of this entry to anyone who is reading: definitely go to thrift stores for used books. I know not all of them will have a good selection, the stores in LA had crap, although I did find a nice copy of The Pillars Of The Earth there, but I think I spent $8 or $9 for it. A good deal but not a steal. If you live in Sacramento, you'll find steals! Until they realize, and raise their prices. Here are the books I bought!

Un Lun Dun by China Mieville for $2
I've been wanting to read this so I was so excited to find it, and this is a beautiful hardcover copy in perfect condition. It actually still has the Borders sticker on the back with the list price of $17.95. Yes, this is technically a young adult novel. Sue me.

Honolulu by Alan Brennert (author of Moloka'i) for $2
Another book I've been wanting to read, got a nice paperback edition.

John Irving's Three Complete Novels for $2
I almost peed myself when I found this, perfect hardcover, my favorite author, three of his novels that I haven't read yet: Setting Free The Bears, The Water-Method Man, The 158-Pound Marriage.

Stephen King's On Writing for $2
Another gorgeous hardcover edition in perfect condition, something I've been wanting to read.

Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon for $2
I was shocked to find this, a perfect hardcover, because I just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's other book The Shadow Of The Wind and was planning on getting this one next.

Smaller paperback/mass market copies for $3 total:
The Screwtape Letters
Pilgrim's Progress
Billy Budd, Sailor
The Cider House Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment