Sunday, May 23, 2010

Miles for Melanoma

Yesterday was the Miles for Melanoma 5k race in Fullerton. I've never done a race before, it wasn't a big marathon or anything, but it was really cool! I couldn't sleep the night before, though, I think I finally fell asleep after 2AM and had to wake up at around 5:30AM to get there to register. The race started at 8AM. The trail was really rocky and uneven, with SO many inclines. I'm not used to running on anything unpaved, and now I'm really sore. I finished in 38 minutes ;) About 12 minutes a mile. Yeah..that sounds about right. That is exactly where I was in High School. Ha! I'm not a natural runner at all, it kills me. I'm not even a natural jogger! But I force myself to do it because of the feeling afterward. It's amazing how accomplishing something so small makes you feel so good!
Most importantly, it benefits and brings attention to Melanoma, a cancer that gets so little funding for research. It was really great to be a part of, and I know it meant a lot to the survivors that participated.
There were free skin checks and the doctor was a funny older Asian man. He pointed out how the tops of my arms were tan and the white "lizard's belly" of my wrist and forearm is my natural skin color. "Look! This is so beautiful! See, you have pale skin and pale eyes, like Scandinavian, and your face..you should embrace this color!"
The sun is so tempting...but he's right. Sigh.

The End of Lost is tonight. I can't think about anything else! :/

No comments:

Post a Comment